Frittata is an egg based Italian meal that is similar to crust less quiche or omelets, that is enriched with additional ingredients such as vegetables (for example spinach and mushrooms), cheeses, and meats.
- 2 garlic cloves that are minced.
- 170 grams of rinsed pre-sliced mushrooms.
- Half a cup of grated Parmesan.
- 8 eggs
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil.
- 2 tablespoons of low fat milk.
- Salt and pepper
1. Take one tablespoons of olive oil and heat it over medium heat in s nonstick skillet and then add the mushrooms. For around five minutes cook and stir the mushrooms until they start to soften and sweat. Add the garlic, salt, and pepper, stir until you are able to smell the garlic, this should take less than one minute. Add the spinach one handful at a time and then stir until it has wilted. Increase the heat until the excess liquid has evaporated, then turn off the heat. Use a large bowl to beat the eggs, and then add pepper and salt to taste. Add the spinach and mushroom mixture. (If you desire to use the parmesan, you can add it).
2. Heat the remaining one tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat in a pan, until its hot. (It should be hot enough so that you can use it to cook the egg mixture, you may test it by adding a few drops of the egg mixture and if it sizzles its ready. When ready add the egg mixture into the pan, and spread it until it’s evenly distributed in the pan. During the first few minutes of cooking, gently shake the pan with one hand and with the other hand use a spatula to let the eggs to go underneath. When the first layers of egg cooked reduce the heat and use a lid to cover the skillet. Let it cook for ten minutes and once in a while shake the pan. To ensure that the bottom of the frittata doesn’t burn use the spatula to loosen it.
3. In the meantime, heat the broiler. Remove the lid and put in the broiler (but it shouldn’t be too close to the heat since this will make its top to burn. Remove the heat and shake the pan, this is to ensure that the frittata has not stuck to the bottom of the pan. Allow it to cool for around 5 to 15 minutes. Use a spatula to loosen its edges and carefully slide it into a round platter. It is now ready to be served, you can serve it hot, warm, or even cold.
This should be able to give you six servings.
Nutritional content of each serving
- 160 calories.
- 12 grams of protein.
- 10 grams of fat (2 grams of polyunsaturated fat, 2 grams of saturated fat, and 6 grams of monosaturated fat.
- 3 grams of carbohydrates.
- 120 milligrams of sodium.
- 1 gram of dietary fiber.
- 250 milligrams of cholesterol.
It is a low calorie meal and can be eaten by people who are trying to loose weight.
- It is sweet and healthy meal and can be eaten by people who are trying to lose weight and the diabetic. (Remember to get a Ehic cover - ehic application is free.)
- You may choose to not use the egg yolk to lower the cholesterol.
- It can be served at breakfast, lunch, or super.
- It can be served with a variety of meals.